Please file your 990 electronically – 990N’s can be filed before the reconciliation is complete.
Please do NOT mail your tax return – even with proof of mailing; 2 Plano ISD PTA’s got confirmation it was received, but the IRS never found/processed their returns; they had to refile!
A good website for electronic filing is https://efile.form990.org/
Who Is The Treasurer?
The treasurer is the authorized custodian of the funds of the association and receives and disburses all monies in accordance with the budget as approved by the association membership.
- Work with the outgoing treasurer to review your roles and responsibilities.
- Review the BASICS Treasurer Resource Guide for detailed guidance on financial practices.
- Become familiar with the work of the Budget and Finance Committee and begin to prepare a budget. View a Sample Budget.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval.
- Become an authorized signer on all PTA accounts and ensure access to bank accounts and financial records transition to the newly-elected board.
- Provide training to incoming board members on financial best practices for your PTA.
- Sign the Texas PTA Confidentiality, Ethics, Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation before October 15.
Duties at a Glance
- Study all references to duties and finances in the PTA bylaws, policies and standing rules.
- Ensure your Local PTA meets all requirements of the Standards of Continuing Affiliation.
- Keep an accurate and detailed account of all monies received and disbursed.
- Ensure all cash funds are counted by multiple individuals and documented with a Deposit Form. Triplicate Deposit Forms may be purchased from Texas PTA.
- Keep on permanent file the PTA Employer Identification Number (EIN), as assigned by the IRS, and the PTA sales tax permit, as assigned by the Texas Comptroller.
- Present a financial report of all accounts at all Association and board meetings. View a Sample Financial Report.
- Make timely deposits to the PTA bank account.
- Make disbursements in accordance with the budget, as adopted by the association membership, and verify each transaction is accompanied by a Check Request and necessary documentation.
- File the appropriate Form 990 within 60 days of the end of the fiscal year. PTAs are no longer required to report their filings to Texas PTA.
- File sales tax reports to Texas Comptroller as required (annually, quarterly or monthly).
- Maintain a list of assets owned by the PTA.
- Submit all required items to the Financial Reconciliation Committee in a timely manner.
- Submit your PISD Council of PTAs Council Dues payment to maintain your status in good standing.
Required Monthly Duties
- Reconcile the checkbook to the bank statement.
- Reconcile any credit card or merchant accounts to the bank statement.
- Generate financial reports for board and/or association meetings.
- Propose any budget amendments as needed.
- Deposit and expend funds as needed and record in accounting software/ledger.
- Record sales tax and state/national dues in escrow.
- Coordinate with membership chair to report members/dues to Texas PTA.