PISD Family Education and Guidance Services has a variety of workshops available for your PTA. Workshops/programs are free and last approximately one hour. Please visit: www.pisd.edu/parentworkshops for a full listing of their programs.
Who Is The Programs Chair?
PTAs offer a variety of programs for parents, students and educators to empower them with knowledge and new skills, all while building a sense of community within the school.
- Work with outgoing Programs VP/Chair to review ongoing efforts and needed materials.
- Although BASICS Programs is no longer offered, the most recent resource guide (2015) contains detailed information and best practices.
- Become familiar with Texas PTA's Ready. Set. Achieve! and KidsFirst programs.
- Learn more about PTA's National Standards for Family School Partnerships and the Schools of Excellence program.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation before October 15.
Duties at a Glance
- Identify community needs by surveying families and school personnel.
- Evaluate existing programs and determine relevancy and future plans.
- Research program providers and/or ideas aligned with identified needs and goals.
- Adopt annual goals to increase family engagement using the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships.
- Provide year-round programming to establish the PTA's focus on family engagement, not only fundraising.
- Network with PTA Programs Leaders in your community to collaborate on common goals.
Share Your Success
One of the most valuable benefits of PTA is that our Leaders are part of a larger community who have the opportunity to network and share with one another. We know that PTAs across Texas are doing great things and we want to hear about each and every one of them! Submit your success story and be the Talk of Texas!
Free Parent Education
Ready. Set. Achieve!
Ready. Set. Achieve! education programs are a benefit of having an Active PTA on your campus and are brought to you at no cost! Your PTA may request up to two programs per school year. Texas PTA will provide the following:
- A trained volunteer presenter
- Attendee materials and resources
- Promotional resources and reminders
- Continuing Professional Education [CPE] credit for teachers and support staff
- Use of translation equipment upon request; Interpreter must be coordinated by host
Find what presentations are already scheduled for your area by visiting our Programs Calendar.
National Program Templates and Tools
Documents previously available at www.ptakit.org (National PTA Local PTA Leader Kits); now requires account login:
- Programs Quick Reference Guide 2017-2018
- Action Plan
- Budget Worksheet
- Program Announcements or Newsletter Brief
- Event Registration Sheet
- Sample Resource Request Letter
- Sign-In Sheet
- Program Evaluation Tools
- Thank You Letter for Sponsors
- Thank You Letter for Volunteers
- Planning Guide and Checklist
Additional Resources that may be found at the National PTA Website - www.pta.org:
- Tips for Teachers on Family Engagement Poster
- Reflections Poster
- Reflections Poster (Spanish)