Improving the Health and Wellness of Families
National PTA is committed to improving the overall health and well-being of families across the country because we know living a healthy lifestyle is a key component to our students' ability to thrive.
What Does Living Healthy Mean?
Prioritizing you and your families’ overall health is important to living happy, meaningful lives. And living healthy means eating a well-balanced diet, includes your physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
Facebook Group: PISD Council of PTAs Healthy Lifestyles | Facebook
Who is the Healthy Lifestyles Chair?
Establishing and supporting a healthy lifestyles position within your PTA signals your commitment to building healthy schools, healthy families, and healthy communities.
- Work with the previous chair to review ongoing efforts and obtain any needed materials.
- Review the BASICS Healthy Lifestyles Resource Guide for detailed support and best practices.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View Sample Plan of Work.
- Become familiar with the Texas Coordinated School Health requirements and the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS within 30 days of election or appointment.
Duties at a Glance
- Serve as a liaison between your PTA and the community regarding health-related issues.
- Create a Healthy Lifestyles Team, including your principal, PTA president, PE department, cafeteria manager, and parents.
- Attend your district’s School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) meetings and understand your district’s wellness policy.
- Join your school’s Campus Improvement Committee to provide a school health perspective.
- Assess your school’s needs via surveys, plus feedback from school faculty, staff, and administration, PTA leaders, parents, and students.
- Network with PTA Healthy Lifestyles Leaders in your community to collaborate on common goals.
- Create opportunities for parent engagement and education that fit your local needs, utilizing local assets (parents, businesses, local non-profits) as well as Texas PTA and National PTA resources.
Share Your Success
One of the most valuable benefits of PTA is that our Leaders are part of a larger community who have the opportunity to network and share with one another. We know that PTAs across Texas are doing great things and we want to hear about each and every one of them! Submit your success story and be the Talk of Texas!
Texas PTA Resources
View the BASICS Healthy Lifestyles webinar here
Healthy Lifestyles Month (November)
Access the 2021 Healthy Lifestyles Month toolkit to celebrate all the ways we can make simple, smart choices together.
National PTA Resources
Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model